Given the mayor's order [see below for excerpts from the full order] limiting attendance in any indoor space to 25% of capacity (previously the requirement was 33%), please be advised if you come to mass to be prepared and open to being asked to move to the undercroft, where the mass will be broadcast on the tv, or if you choose, you can come prepared to sit outside in the garden. Communion will be brought to those in both locations. The wearing of masks indoors for services is still required. Thank you for your cooperation, as we continue to make the services available to those who feel free to attend and also do everything to keep everyone safe.
- Fr. Bill Au
August 6, 2020
Mayor Young Announces Limits on Indoor Gatherings
Read the related excerpts below:
Today, Mayor Bernard C. “Jack” Young has signed an Executive Order reopening indoor dining at a reduced capacity while adding updated restrictions on gatherings. Mayor Young's executive order includes the following:
- Outdoor gatherings will be capped at 25 people
- Indoor gatherings will be capped at 25% of occupancy or 25 people, whichever is lower
- Religious facilities will be capped at 25% of occupancy
For purposes of this Executive Order, “gathering” is defined as an assembly or meeting, especially a social or festive one for a specific purpose. The Mayor's order takes effect Friday, August 7, at 5:00 p.m. Mayor Young issued the following statement:
“Today's action is about protecting the wholistic welfare of our city,” Mayor Young said. “I have chosen to act to protect the financial wellbeing of our city and our residents. Congress' inability to come to an agreement to provide relief and support for the people of our country is deeply disheartening. Their inaction has forced my hand. Our residents need to be able to support themselves and their families during this difficult time. This reopening does not mean that we are in the clear as it relates to the pandemic but rather that I want to support our residents facing extreme financial hardships as a result of working in the restaurant and service industry. While I will be allowing very limited capacity for indoor dining, I remain concerned about community spread which is why I have reduced the allowable capacity for most gatherings.”
Health Commissioner Dr. Dzirasa issued the following statement:
“After careful consideration of the unique economic challenges faced by the restaurant industry, Mayor Young has made the decision that indoor dining will be allowable with 25% capacity at restaurants,” Dr. Dzirasa said. “Additionally, Mayor Young's executive order puts restrictions on large gatherings, indoors and outdoors. We recognize that there are different levels of risk in activity, indoors being riskier than outdoors and attendance at large gatherings increasing one's risk of potential coronavirus exposure. I’d like to caution Baltimore City residents to remain vigilant, keep 6 feet of distance when around others, wear your face covering over your nose and mouth, avoid being in indoor settings around others, not in your household, for prolonged periods of time and avoid large crowds.”
Mayor Young is also extending the moratorium on permits for large gatherings through the end of September.